Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dairy-free, Soy-free, Peanut-free No-Bake Cookies!

So my little Peanut is allergic to peanuts. And dairy. And onions and potatoes and beans and ... Weird, I know. Well, poor kid - his mother is allergic to tartar control toothpaste and Neosporin. I guess we know where he gets it from!

Anyway, he loves to "help" me cook. I'm not sure I should if spilling flour and oats all over the floor and trying to pour water into the cookie mix is really helping, but we have a good time. I'm always looking for new baking recipes, well, any recipes that he can eat and enjoy. Since he loves (dairy-free, soy-free) chocolate, I thought we'd try making some no-bake cookies.

So, here we go:

2 C. sugar
3 T. cocoa powder
1/2 C. coconut oil
1/2 C. rice milk (or whatever variety you prefer!)

Put these in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once they come to a rolling boil, start timing for one minute. After one minute, remove from heat and add (in this order):

1 t. vanilla
1/2 C. Sunbutter (that's the only brand of sunflower butter I can find locally)
2 1/2 C. quick oats

Stir it all well and drop by the teaspoonful onto waxed paper. Let cool and enjoy! Now, don't expect them to taste the same as normal no-bakes because the Sunbutter definately has a distinctive flava. Next time I'm going to try almond butter - I bet it they would be heavenly!

For the first time ever, my little Salvador got to lick the spoon, and he was loving it. He devoured his cookie and shortly after I found him in the kitchen trying to sneak another. I think they were purty yummy, too!

If you try the recipe and like it, let me know!

Coming soon: Homemade (and dairy-free!) "Animal" Cracker recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment